The regional hubs concept is intended to support the work of the SGAN global Secretariat via:
- Facilitating more hands-on interaction between the Global Secretariat and individual SGAs;
- Allowing closer interaction between and among SGAs in particular geographic regions or sub-regions;
- Better assisting in the identification of funding opportunities to meet the needs of SGAs;
- Providing targeted capacity development and training opportunities; and
- Helping to promote and improve collaboration and coordination between SGAs and other regional networks and initiatives.
There are currently three hubs in operation, two geographical (Southern Africa Development Community and Latin America and the Caribbean) and one thematic (Traditional Ecological Knowledge; TEK).
Latin American and the Caribbean (LAC) Hub
The goal of the LAC Hub is to strengthen capacity on ecosystem assessments in the LAC region to promote a common understanding on approaches and tools, and to support relevant global processes (e.g. IPBES). The LAC Hub fosters dialogue and integration of initiatives at the science-policy interface; promotes the exchange of capacity and experiences within the region; offers opportunities for training; and creates strong links to the scientific community and to relevant information and data sources for undertaking ecosystem assessments. The LAC Hub will focus primarily on exploring opportunities for the application of ecosystem assessments at different scales within the region.
For further information please contact the LAC Hub at email@example.com.